Recently I posted a call for help, asking readers to send questions they would like to ask leaders of organizations. I appreciate all the responses, through this blog, Twitter and Facebook. Below is the list of questions. Now the task before me is to edit the list down to a manageable size. The goal is to find the best questions which can easily be used in a 30-60 minute interview.
Once the list of questions is edited then I will use them in conversations with leaders from various for-profit and non-profit organizations. I am looking forward to these times. I will be posting reflections on these interviews.
• As you look back over your past, what has had the greatest impact on you personally in your growth as a leader or as a person?
• Who is a leader that you look up to and why?
• Why do you think you have been placed in this position of leadership?
• What is the easiest thing about being a leader?
• What are among the most important decisions a leader makes?
• How do you guard against inspiration becoming institutional?
• How do you inspire/encourage creative thinking within your organization?
• Where do the greatest ideas come from in your organization?
Vision/Core Values, Communication and Culture
• What is the greatest fear you have for the organization you lead?
• Which is more important in long term leadership of an organization, Vision or Core Values?
• How do you communicate values/vision with your employees?
• Are there specific times you set aside to cast vision?
• How do you help new employees understand the culture of the organization?
• What is the most important factor in determining whether to hire someone? (How do you decide who to hire?)
• How do you ensure your organization is aligned around its vision, values, and goals?
• What it the one characteristic that every leader should model? Why?
• What are characteristics that are essential for leaders?
• How important are these character traits to you as a leader or for the people you lead: submission, restraint, humility, love, compassion, courage?
• When faced with two equally good options how do you choose?
• What is it about your leadership that produces results?
• What is the biggest challenge facing leaders today?
• What mistakes do you most often see leaders make?
• In your opinion, what one thing most often derails a leader’s career?
• Social media has invaded our lives. Has it forced changes in how you communicate?
• Has social media allowed you to get to know those you lead better?
• Has social media made it possible for your team to know you better?
Resources for Training
• What is the best resource for learning leadership skills?
• What books do you recommend leaders read?
• What are the three most important things you would tell someone who has just moved into a leadership position for the first time?
• What are you doing to ensure you continue to grow and develop as a leader?
• If you left leadership today would you be satisfied with your accomplishments?
Questions for Leaders