For 27 years I have been serving in a full-time leadership position in a local church. My journey has included stops in Oklahoma, Michigan, Kentucky and Tennessee.
Throughout the years I have been blessed to work with and serve with some amazing people. These relationships have enriched my life. Also through these years I have heard some really strange comments. Here are just a few.
- People who can read music should not be playing instruments in church. It takes away from the Spirit leading them. Too much planning gets in the way of what God wants to do in the worship services.
- We don’t need to print an order of worship or outline. Only a few people need to know what is going to happen in the service.
- For the next four weeks I want you to use the same songs in worship.
- No we are not going to plan our budget we don’t want the church to have control over the staff.
- I feel since I decided to stop playing the organ in church that God is taking my talent away. (How do you know that?) I can feel the talent leaving my fingers, oozing out my fingers and they are getting stiff.
- No one should sit next to your piano player. No one is worthy to be that close to him, he is one of God’s sons. One day it will be revealed he is really Jesus.
- God has given me the gift of playing the tambourine. I brought my instrument today to church…would it be okay if I sat in the congregation and played along with all the songs.
Can you add to the list?