"we are intentional about developing leaders."
I've made that statement and recently.
The question that has to be behind the statement is:
'what is the plan?'
I can have the best intentions to recruit and train new leaders but intentions are worthless.
My team and I have made the opening statement many times and now it is time to takes steps toward the destination "new leaders."
Here are the steps we are taking:
- observe all the people on our teams
- identify persons with leadership qualities
- tell them they are being considered for a leadership role
- be very specific when recruiting
- tell them what is expected
- show them what has to be done
- guide them through a training period
- *in our case that includes both leadership skills and spiritual development
- hold them accountable to the expectations
- give them a chance to lead
- let them do it their way
- concretely evaluate their performance
- offer tools for further leadership development
- give them plenty of opportunities
- cut them loose if they do not meet expectations
- encourage at every chance
- give them their own team
- never leave them alone...always be available to support
Do you have a process for identifying and training leaders from within your organization?