Why Pastors Should Read the Local Newspaper
I know it is a growing trend to gather all our news from on-line sources. It seems that in just seconds we can catch up on all the news from around the world. I am one of those who check the on-line sources a couple times a day. However as a minister in a local church I believe that I also need to read the local newspaper.Here are just a few reasons:
- I can see the issues facing our local government.
- I can see the issues facing our local schools.
- I can learn how to celebrate with our community.
- I can see if members or connections to our church have something to celebrate.
- I can discover ways our congregation can make an impact in the community.
- I can find ways other churches are making an impact for the Gospel and pray for them.
A few weeks ago as I was reading I discovered that a member of our congregation had been honored as an alumni of the year for the local school system. Knowing this I was able to walk in church on Sunday morning and congratulate them on this honor.
And this morning I discovered that my neighbor’s mother passed away. This is a very quiet family and if I had not seen the article I would not have known. Now I know and I have an obligation to find a way to minister to them.
On-line news sources are great and immediate, but not cast away the printed paper just yet, it can be a valuable resource for ministry.
Do you read the local newspaper?