My team, your team are asking questions. They might not verbalize them, but they are asking.
The questions are:
- What am I supposed to do?
- Will you let me do it?
- Will you help me when I need it?
- Will you let me know how I am doing?
From the very beginning of trying to fill a position and throughout a lead/follower relationship, paid or volunteer, any leader would be wise to keep these questions near and refer to them often. The questions can help us who lead to:
- Communicate the expectations of the task.
- Empower those assigned the task.
- Support the volunteer or staff when help is needed.
- Stay out of the way when we are not needed.
- Evaluate honestly the performance.
Are there other questions that should be added to the list?
Called to Serve = Called to Prepare