Questions That Should Be Asked
Too often we get caught up in "doing our job" to "work on our job". That has been me recently but I am trying to change. Here are some questions I am considering to help generate change.
As an employee
Your boss comes to you and says that you are being replaced by someone who can do your job better.
- What do you think that new person will concentrate on and do better than you are doing?
- Why aren't you doing those things?
- Or at least why aren't you working on them?
As a supervisor of people
An employee comes to your office and says they are giving notice that they are resigning to go to another company to work at an identical job.
- What do you think you could have done differently to keep that person on your team?
As a team leader
If you could start from scratch what would your company/department look like?
- What core values would be your foundation?
- What would be the #1 mission?
- Who would be on your team?
- What strategies would you implement to meet the core values?
- What activities would be started to meet the goals and mission?