When Ithink of leaders that influence my life and others that I have come in contact with there are a few names which come to the top of the list. However, this week I have been reminded of two who set the example of being leaders and true followers of Christ…my parents.
What precipitated this reminder were connections that I have made on Facebook. As I connected with persons from different parts of the country and different periods in my life; graciously they asked about me, but very quickly turned the conversation to inquiry about my parents. There were people my parents lead as ministers in a local church and those who they mentored in a college setting and still others they met in a social setting.
Why did these people ask about my parents? I believe it was because they witnessed these traits:
- they have always felt a call of God on their lives and it was evident.
- they have served faithfully in every situation that God has placed them in.
- they treated everyone equally, accepting everyone.
- they cared about the spiritual well being of those whom they were around.
- they took and continue to take the Bible as the authority every situation and encouraged others to do the same.
- they did and do make spending time in conversation with God in prayer a priority.
These are lifestyle characteristics that will set followers of Christ apart from all others. These are lifestyle characteristics that I hope I model for those that I come in contact with.
My parents = parents yes, but also leaders with influence.